Monday, April 11, 2011

Holy Grail (A Poem)


Looking out my window
Today
I saw a white man
In his seventies
Walking down my street
Shucking and jiving
Like he was a black pimp
From 1978

This cheered me up
From my sick April ennui
And ran to tell my wife
About him

I found her
In the bedroom
Knitting a coin purse
For me

“Hon, I just saw an old man
Who was clearly happy to be alive”

She looks up to me
And smiles
Nods her head up and down
And goes back to her yarn work

I head back out
And take up my seat by the window again
Knowing full well
That I’ll not see anything
Of interest again today
…That I had seen the Holy Grail
Of boring activities

So, I lift the tea to my lips
And wait for nothing
To come

And it does

1 comment:

  1. the last stanza?) & the last line are perfect, the H-grail indeed. excellent read. smitty*_____-

    ReplyDelete