Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Without Music (A Poem)


 Nietzsche
was right on the money
when he said

Without music,
life would be a mistake

I’m sure old
 Friedrich would not have
been a huge fan
of The Clash
but I am and I play them
loud
loudly and louder
when I have the opportunity to,
usually
when everyone has left the building

the drums crack the walls a bit
and the treble rings in my ears
but it’s all good
tonight

alone with
razor blade telecasters
strumming the hell
out of the six wire strings
and that bass
(always back to the bass)
will end up in a
broken heap on the
stage soon after the last note
is played
and then
they will lay on the
destruction

debris flying everywhere
and all I can do
is applaud here in my room
being as how
I was born at the wrong time
to see them live

so Joe
your grumble and coughing
reggae roots kill me
every time
I pop you into the stereo
and you
alone make me feel
like a amphetamine high
shaking 
but I ain’t got the chills
(You know, don’t you?)

and so I have a
purpose
my ears were
simply born to listen to you
and I have done so
faithfully since I was
twelve

So…it’s now
officially
 Armageddon Time
the skies rip apart
 the ground cracks like a egg
and as all falls into
disorder
I will still have you
in my ear
and let it come
says I

let it come
I can handle anything 

   * Taken from my book Dead Hip*

1 comment:

  1. real nice write kevin, & thank you for the autographed copy. I'll treasure it forever & pass it on to my kids.
    smitty

    ReplyDelete