Tuesday, October 5, 2010

(I Believe in God) But I Don’t Believe in Clapton


A dog leaks
against a graffiti wall
summing it up
and its not
soiling the Desiderata
or the gospel of John

I'm behind the sun
I have money and cigarettes
and happiness on my shoulder

Lao Tzu had the blues
and a slow hand
way back in China
before
vinyl was created
He was a journeyman
in sandals
and robe

Me, I live in a church basement in
Baltimore between the
crossroads
of downtown

I am happy with the
squeaks of the mice
and the yellow paper
that litters the floor

God bestowed this to me
God Was Here
and He comes again
after midnight
every Sunday

using six strings
The Almighty
plays a mighty axe
that slide down your
spine
like honey

He touches me
like a warm cup of Chamomile
like a hug from a friend
like Clara Bows eyes

Willie and his hands
shake
from a nervous breakdown
..having never read the Bible
he can find no comfort
for his
pain

but me,
I'm OK

I got God on my side
and the Tao Te Ching
to keep me company

I don't need the color
of money to feel
wonderful tonight

I got what I got
and am happy
about it

So say I



No comments:

Post a Comment