Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Anita Kerr

lounging about
in my room
with the
Anita Kerr Singers
with their
so soft voices
and mellow horns
in the background

 My grandmother probably
loved
this music

**it’s a crying shame
that her children
got rid of her stuff
and her husband’s as well
I can only imagine how many
amazing and cool
sweaters
were thrown out
or given to the
Salvation Army

my wardrobe could have
used them badly**

but
anyway
this music is so fine
and I feel warm caramel
down my spine
as I sit here not
doing not a thing
but listening

**I used to laugh at
Lawrence Welk
now I worship the man
he was so good**

Anita was whiter than white
close to translucent
but I love her all the same

so
with the mug to my lips
I think of her
in dazzling dresses
standing proud
in front of the
microphone
entertaining the
well over 60 folks
as the camera caught all of her
small steps
swaying to the music

Anita, God bless ya darling
you cannot be beat
tonight
or any old night

you do it for me

pleased
I snap my fingers
along with you and your
orchestra

if only I was born
in 1930
I could have been your
lovely and dapper
boyfriend

instead
I got stuck with the
nightmare that is
Madonna

so, thank you Miss Kerr
you’ve gone and made
this young man
rather happy tonight
and I can’t wait
for more





No comments:

Post a Comment