Friday, December 24, 2010

Cool Baby Cool


Not too many can
Be cool as the great old
50’s rockers

Buddy Holly
Chuck Berry
Eddie Cochran

All so very alright
In my book

Right now
I have a
Carl Perkins
45
Playing
Honey Don’t
On the turntable
With the record going
Around under that
Very expensive needle
I purchased for this reason:

To hear my old time tunes
As clearly as possible
Without giving up
The pops and cracks
That CD’s always leave out

It’s over too quickly though
As I have to rise from my chair
And flip over the single

It’s time to play
B-sides

Good old music
Cannot be beat
If you ask me

Give me a crusty old record
Over a compact disc any day
As the grease in my hair hardens
And I bounce around this room
Looking at myself in the
Full length mirror
Trying desperately to be
Cool

But I fail

I was a child of the 80’s
Unfortunately
When Mousse
Replaced Brylcream
And Jordash jeans
Took on the coolness of
Levis with a white t-shirt

Oh, to be born in
1939
Now that would have been
Something

I was thirty years too late

But thanks to my father
I have a whopping 6 boxes full
Of old records from the
50’s
And they shaped me
Helped make me the
Man I am now

I pull off my
Sun Records shirt
Kill the lights
And get into bed

As the music plays

Like every night
Before
And certainly
After
This night is finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment