Monday, November 22, 2010

Between


somewhere between
a  local jester in a jet
flying high above
it
all
I am gliding into
endlessness
with a smile
on my face
as every beer can
I have ever crushed in my fist
lies
disgraced and forgotten

but these
words
remain
on the yellowing paper
with dates attached
like
12 – 25 – 87
6 – 20 – 83
4 – 08 - 79

all in coarse pencil markings
and globs of melted eraser tracks
in between the lines

sometime between
a rabid goblin
frightening the Goethe-like children
I
sat above it all
watching the tracks on my arms
disappear into
thin air
and I realize that
I did it all for you
despite the fact that
my hand
had yet to enter into your gaze
as the second hand
slowly marched into
our history


I am failing hard here now

I am a forgotten man under the circus tent
all army green
and pleasant enough, I suppose
to the folks with
faded
sundrenched tattoos
and
Budweiser caps
upon their holy noggins
but for me
it simply
no longer
makes it

so,
I turn up the speakers
and let the tired music
enter into my ears
as I
tear apart the sheets of paper
and throw them in the air
like
a whirlwind of forgetfulness
and
bend down to tie my shoe
only to find
a face looking back up at me
with a look that says

welcome

and I am home again
as the confetti
hits the ground
all around me







No comments:

Post a Comment