Sunday, November 7, 2010

The Numb Jump


shirtless,
sitting here
numb and bored
while the world
spins on outside of my
nailed shut window

I have no
out to dinner needs
and the stores leave me cold
despite the crisp
100 dollar bill
I have in my steel cigarette box
(which houses
only
money as I
quit
the tobacco routine)

I want to
buy nothing
and eat even less

so, I listen in
as my two sons
(aged…yes…aged and older now)
play their video games
and talking on the
telephone
behind closed doors
and I am not invited in

the day has come
when I am not wanted
by the children
and that’s ok
by me
as it happens to
everyone
so
what the hell

so
with their laughter
as my soundtrack
I bend over to pick up my
shirt from the littered floor
and slide myself into it
with no applause

it fits me nice and snug
thanks to the few pounds I have gained
much to my
delight

and so
the clock
…that slow bastard…
has run into the six
and I can call it a lousy night
here at the keyboard
with one poem finished
and a million
thought

I rise from my chair
and head into the bedroom
where I will find a bed full of clothes
and a cat or two
laying there
all in need
of a
gigantic tongue
to lick them

clean
and me,
well I had a shower yesterday
so I am all ready
for nothing

lucky me

and
out of the blue
I am hit with a case
of the happy’s
so I jump
(and I mean
j
u
m
p)
onto the bed
scattering kitties
and clothes
to my great delight
and
the phone rings
but I have no
desire
to answer it
and
I
don’t

I simply lay there
smiling at what my life
has become

and sometimes
...not often mind you
but
sometimes
it is good to be me
and
I lay my head to the pillow
and close my eyes
and drift
into a late evening nap


I have plenty of time
to do
just that


No comments:

Post a Comment