Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Vote! * A Poem for the Hell of it.

   I've been on literary sabbatical this past month or two but I am slowly coming back with some fresh originals that I hope you will dig....it's nice to find the keys under my fingertips again. Anyway...here is a poem I wrote. I have a view of the voters going into the church basement across the street to vote from where I am perched so I thought I'd write about it...I hope you like it.


my out of step
with the times
slippers
on my feet
I watch the voters
file into the booths
to cast away their hopes
as I sit up here
in the home with the never ending
heat supply
bursting through my
metal vents
allowing me to
walk around topless
and dumb

dumb like them
down there
with their pokers and pens

the only thing I have
going for me
anymore
is this delightful
music
I am allowed to play
after the lights dim
and the sun
packs it up
and calls it a day

and so
tomorrow I will wait for
baseball cards to
come to me
via the mail
and I will open the packs up
to find
Clara Bow
dressed as a
Washington Senator
winking at me
from third base
and
allowing me
the first erection of this
early autumn

so
go out and vote
tonight

punch those holes
for the one that
disgusts you the least
and be sure to leave
a trail of
bread crumbs
behind you
as you make your way
to
the
booth

you better

as I’ll
be watching




No comments:

Post a Comment