Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Drunken Butterfly (A Poem) *

drunk butterfly
screams
out my
gramophone

drunk with beauty

sober with class

I raise
the bottle to my
mouth
and take a healthy
chug

she's with me now

she tickles
me just a bit
as I sit
up
at the end of the
bed

pure and naked

alone with the telephone
stuffed with rags and socks

the doorbell
hanging from wires
in the kitchen

nothing to
bug me tonight

unplugged the computer

threw a rancid boot
through
the television set

bolted all the doors
and
closed all the drapes

just me,
the bottle
and
the butterfly

this music..
this amazing gift
that God Himself
gave to me
the day
I was puled out
is
something else
indeed

It's my one
true
love

loyal to the end

never gave up on me
or
cheated on me

never threw me out
and
never ever
left me

the butterfly understands me

She can't talk
but she can sing
of course
she's with me
100%

I don't know
how to pay her
back
for so many nights
of joy she has given me

My life?
it's hers for the taking
My soul?
why the hell not

this drunk butterfly
and me have a good thing
going

always have
for as long as
I can remember

behind the bar
she came to me
one
morning
when I was alone
and she
never left me

she's been with me
all the time

she will never leave me
I know this

others have been
put off by our
strong love

they could not
understand
how I always
loved her more
and so
they took
off in a stormy
huff

fuck 'um
I say
fuck 'um till it hurts

I don't
need
nothing
but
a drunken
butterfly

I shout out
Amen!

rattled the windows
just a bit
and
rise from the bed
to dance
just a bit

a victory jig
for me and
the drunken butterfly

* Thanks to Sonic Youth for the inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment