Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Speedo (Part Four) * A Poem

how many times
can I write a poem
about the greatest song
in the world…
the history of man?
The finest character
to be put on record?

I wonder
and I am at it again


my man
Speedo
in
the Cadillac

he’s making time
with the girl
of his dreams

he never takes it slow

and you may call him
Earl
but I don’t

I always refer to him
by his fancy moniker

I wish I could get
closer to him
but
he just moves so
damned fast
and he’s out of my sight
as I extend my hand to
receive a handshake

he wastes no time
and gets the point
right away

but when I get lonely
  when I am blue and alone
I just picture him
on the spinning wax
and he comes to me
and dances his
jig with the old
soft shoe
right here in the middle
of my hardwood floor

God bless him

may the light always try to
keep up with him
and shine
brightly

and you know
the best part?
 The best part is that
he will never
grow old

my main man
will never go gray or bald
and
he will never die
so long
as the world keeps spinning and
people have the need for
cool cigarettes
and
corners to
sing on

so, Speedo
keep up your
manic energy
and impress us all
with your espresso soul
and I’ll try to
catch you on the
flip side

dig that man?

1 comment: