Monday, February 14, 2011

Otis Blue (A Poem)


Sing it
Otis Blue

Oh now
C’mon and give it to me
Tonight

So I can cry
In my beer
Along with you
Otis Blue

And you
In that orange suit
That fits you so
Well
You can shake
It
And make it
Good for me

Cause I am
Chained and bound
Here and I cannot fly
Tonight
So let me soar
Along within your voice
Tonight
 Otis Blue

They call me
Ol Man Trouble
And we all know
Who you are

Mr. Pitiful
The Big O
Otis Blue
You are
That

So good for you

I’ll knock on wood
For you
I want to save your life
Tonight
Otis Blue

I will gladly
Take your seat
So you can hop
That bus instead
Otis Blue
To save your
Mantra of
Gotta Gotta Gotta

I will be there for you,
For your
Precious love now
Otis Blue
I’ll be number one
In the front row now
Charging the stage
With electricity and volts that would
Kill a mortal man
But you
Otis Blue
Are so far past that
Now

You are now a
Statue in the
Gateway Park
In Memphis

You are the ghost of
Lake Monona

The bright light of
Round Oak, Georgia

And here
Otis Blue
Is where you shine
The brightest

Right here in my
Tattered chest
Where you live to bring me
The glory of love
Stopping the
Pain in my heart
You may be a tramp
Otis Blue
(If Carla was right)
But you hand out
Those cigarettes and coffee
With such ease
That you make it look
So damned easy
Otis Blue
And you show
Everyone up
With your power
But you are humble
Otis Blue

You always were the
Shy man
In the middle of that
Spotlight

Otis Blue
You drive me wild
I will take your advice
And try a little
Tenderness

You’ve taught us
All
So very well
Otis Blue

Thank you for that














1 comment: