Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The Miles Per Hour Guy


can’t really make it out
…this guy…
he’s going on
at 100 miles per hour
with cocaine jaws
jabbering
with spittle
oozing down his
chin

something about
a woman who had
done him wrong
and how his children
had disowned him

or something like that

I rise from my
barstool
and make an excuse of
needing to hit the head
for a long overdue leak

right right
he says
and he quickly gets out of my way

I stumble a bit
to the bathroom
(slightly drunken)
where I open the door to find
a bathroom sink
full of rose pedals
which are totally out of place
at a cheap tavern
like this one

so, I am standing there peeing
comforted by the fact that my
cock and bladder are still functioning
100%
at my late age
when the door
bursts
open and
there he is

“Kevin man…shit…loan me a 5 spot would ya?
I
need
another
drink”

Dude…I’m fucking pissing here
Jesus man…

he shrugs his slight shoulders and
asks me again
for the Lincoln
but this time
a bit quieter
and I hear the jukebox out there
playing a
Carpenters song
and I wish I was in
Karen’s shoes

…dead to the world…

Ok ok man,
Let me finish up will ya?

he smiles and then
out of the blue
gives me the finger,
yells out loud
“Hot Cha”
and smiles at me
like I was a free beer
and turns to leave
slamming the door
behind him

I shake myself dry,
zip up my brown slacks
and go to the flowery sink
to wash my hands
but the roses look so nice in there
that I didn’t have the heart to
disrupt them
so I just spit on my palms
and dried them off
on my shirt

I made my way
back into the bar
fishing for money
in my back pocket
knowing for certain
that this night was just
playing it out like
it was supposed to do
according to the Lords
Divine Plan

it’s comforting

so,
 there at the booth
he sat
alone
without a bottle in front of him
and when he saw me
he lit up with a grin
and began instantly with
the question of the moment

“That fiver Kev? Can I have it man?”

I made that out but then he began revving up again
and he was chatting at a million miles an hour now
and I was clueless
so I simply
laid the five dollar bill
down next to the
wet rings
that remained there
long after the beer had been finished
and stood to walk away
knowing for sure
that he would not stop me
as I made my way to the door
where my car
was waiting for me
with its four bald tires
and a missing rear view mirror

my hunk of shit

on the highway
heading home
I flipped on the radio
to find nothing but
top forty crud on
and
I knew this would not be my night
at all
but
at least my baby left the front porch light on for me
so at least
I have that
going for me


















No comments:

Post a Comment