Saturday, January 29, 2011

Tom Waits With My Cat


“Without music, life would be a mistake.”

Nietzsche was right on the money
with that one
and even my cats would
have to agree with him
as they curl up at my feet
during the ballads
and they stomp around
to the marches I play
when I am in a great mood

my records pile up high
on the settle here
and the one cat
…my favorite
P.P.
likes to lay on the very top row
and watch the going on's of his
brothers and sisters and his four human owners

I have some Tom Waits
playing right now
and P.P. would like a drink
..maybe a scotch on the rocks
with a tuna head sliced in half
and hanging from the glass

Lord knows
that a drink
calls my name as well
and I grab a old bottle of brandy
from the shelf and
I pour myself a large glass
with the full knowledge
that this would worry my
beloved mother

(Don’t sweat it Rosie…I know what I’m doing)

and so
here at the desk
with my slippered feet
up
I crash into the tunes
and drink slowly
…sipping with the grace of thirteen kings

P.P.
I love you
but I dig the music a bit more
and Friedrich,
you were on the money
as you almost always were
and I think of you tonight
as my cats adore me
for playing their favorite composer
and your moustache was something ever splendid,
it is something I dream of combing
when my OCD acts up
but
tonight
this poem is for P.P. and Tom
my two buddies
with the brandy doing its job
as the saxophones play like
a chorus of vibrating razors.

and watch me now
I rise to the music and dance a proud mans jig
as the sun sets behind the tree’s
and the bottle is nearing
empty
but the tunes
continue on
and they always will





No comments:

Post a Comment